FAQs and Forms

General Questions

What is a credit union?

Credit unions are member-owned, not-for-profit financial cooperatives that exist to serve the financial needs of the membership. That is why people that belong to credit unions are considered members and not customers.

As a credit union member, you are a part-owner of the credit union and benefit from any profits the credit union generates. These profits are returned to the membership in numerous ways including lower fees and better rates on loans and savings. Another feature that is unique to credit unions is that the Board of Directors are volunteers elected from the general membership at the Annual Meeting.

It is easy to see how credit unions live up to the motto “people helping people” each and every day. If you are ready to enjoy great loan and deposit rates, lower fees, plus the convenience of more than 7,000 shared credit union service centers and 30,000 surcharge-free ATMs across the U.S., then Western Sun Federal Credit Union is the perfect choice for you!

How can I join?

Western Sun is a community charter credit union serving the entire Tulsa metropolitan area. If you live, work, worship, volunteer or attend school in Creek, Okmulgee, Osage, Pawnee, Rogers, Tulsa, or Wagoner counties, you are eligible to become a member. You are also eligible to join if you are an immediate family member of a current member. Once you join, you can take advantage of all of the products and services we have to offer!

Joining our credit union is as easy as 1-2-3!

  1. Submit a membership application. You can complete the application online here or visit any of our 6 branch locations to apply in person. When you have completed opening your first account, you will receive a Membership Booklet with disclosures and information regarding your account.
  2. Open a savings account. All we require to become a member is to have a regular savings account with a minimum balance of $5. That $5 is your money and is not a fee to join. Once you open your savings account, you are eligible for ALL of the products and services we offer!
    If you are applying for a loan only, you will still need to create a savings account with $5 in order to be eligible for a loan.
  3. Submit copies of your ID as required.

What forms of ID are required to open an account?

Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record personal information that identifies each person who opens an account. When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We will also require the following forms of identification to verify your identity:

Valid Driver’s License and [one] of the following, or valid State ID and [two] of the following:

  • Certified copy of birth certificate
  • Military ID with photo
  • Utility bill (in your name and address)
  • Health insurance card
  • Rent receipt (in your name and address)
  • Employment ID
  • Original Social Security Card stub (current)
  • Valid passport
  • Student ID (current year)
  • Valid credit card
  • Alien ID card with photo

What is the WSFCU routing number?


Are my deposits federally insured?

Yes. Your funds are federally insured up to at least $250,000 by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF), administered by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).

What is a credit union service center and how can I locate one?

A credit union service center is a shared credit union branch where you can perform most transactions, such as deposits, withdrawals, transfers between accounts, and check cashing.

As a member of Western Sun, you have access to more than 5,000 CO-OP shared branches across the nation! Whether you’re traveling out of the city or out of state, chances are there’s a shared branch near you! Visit https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/ to find a branch. You can also text a zip code to 91989 or call (888)748-3266 to find a shared branch or surcharge-free ATM near you.

What do I need to use a credit union service center? You will need your credit union’s name, your member ID, and valid ID.

What federal holidays do you observe?

New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth,  Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. All branches close at 2pm on Christmas Eve.

What is the Annual Meeting?

The Annual Meeting is an opportunity for WSFCU members to hear important updates on the credit union’s financials and to vote on the Board of Directors for the credit union, all of whom are elected from within the membership base.

It is also an opportunity for Western Sun to say “thank you” to our members with free dinner, BINGO, door prizes, and educational opportunities.

The annual meeting is free to attend but does require an RSVP for each member and their guest. For more information on this year’s annual meeting, please visit the “Annual Meeting” page on our website.

Online and Mobile Banking

How do I enroll in online banking?

Online banking can be accessed via your desktop or laptop computer and allows you to perform a variety of transactions including checking account balances, transferring funds between accounts, paying bills, and re-ordering checks.

When you open your account at a branch, you will be given the opportunity to enroll in online banking. You can also enroll anytime by visiting https://secure-wsfcu.com/EnrollOnline/ManualAndQuickEnroll.aspx

In order to enroll in online banking, you will need your name, address, phone number, social security number, account number, date of birth, and mother’s maiden name. At the end of enrollment, you will be prompted to create a username (sign-on ID) and password.

If you have questions or require assistance with online banking, please visit any branch or call us at (918)362-1400.

How do I access mobile banking?

Mobile banking allows you to access all of the same functions as online banking from your smart phone or tablet by using the Western Sun mobile banking app.

Once you have enrolled in online banking and have your username and ID, you are eligible to use mobile banking! To get started, simply download the “Western Sun Federal Credit Union” app from the App Store or Google Play.

Once you download the app, enter your username (sign-on ID) and follow the prompts to log in. The first time you log in, you will be prompted to answer a security question before entering your password.

What is Mobile Check Deposit?

Mobile Check Deposit is a feature within the Western Sun Federal Credit Union (WSFCU) Mobile app that allows you to deposit paper checks into your WSFCU accounts using your mobile device. MCD uses the same level of security and encryption standards as online banking, ensuring that member deposits and personal information are completely safe.

In order to be eligible for Mobile Check Deposit, you must have been a member of Western Sun for at least 3 months and your accounts must be in good standing. For detailed eligibility requirements and instructions, click the link below.

ENDORSING CHECKS FOR MOBILE DEPOSIT: all checks submitted for Mobile Check Deposit should be endorsed with (1) your signature, and (2) “Mobile Deposit to Western Sun FCU.” Checks that are not properly endorsed will be rejected.

How do I enroll in E-statements?

To enroll in e-statements, please click here:

In order to enroll, you will need your name, account number, address, phone number, and a valid email address. Once you enroll, you will start receiving e-statements on the next statement cycle (which is monthly for checking accounts and quarterly for savings accounts). You will receive a notification by email when your e-statement is ready to view.

Please note that e-statements is a separate feature than online banking, so your e-statements will not appear when you log on to online banking. In order to view e-statements, you must visit the e-statements page at https://custmts.com/wscu/ and log in with your member number and pin (password). Your pin (password) for e-statements is not the same as your online banking.

Once you enroll in e-statements, you will no longer receive paper statements by mail. If you wish to go back to receiving paper statements, please call or visit any branch.

Checking Accounts

What is courtesy pay?

Courtesy pay is a service offered at the discretion of Western Sun that may cover your transactions should your checking account balance fall below $0. With courtesy pay, we will cover the check or debit up to $1,000 for a fee of $25.00 per item paid. When you exceed the Courtesy Pay limit of $1,000, any additional items will be returned as NSF and assessed an insufficient funds fee of $25.00 per item.

Courtesy pay is OPTIONAL and you will be given the opportunity to opt-in or opt-out when you open your checking account. You can also opt-in or opt-out at any time after opening your account by contacting a branch. In order to qualify for courtesy pay, your checking account must have been open for at least 3 months and must be maintained in good standing. Western Sun reserves the right to suspend courtesy pay at any time without notice.

If you choose to opt out of Courtesy Pay, any overdrawn items presented for payment against your account will be returned unpaid and assessed an insufficient funds fee of $25.00 per item. You may also be charged additional fees by the merchant/payee.

Please note that courtesy pay is NOT a loan and you should bring your account into a positive balance as soon as possible. If you do not bring your account to a positive balance, your courtesy pay will be suspended or revoked until the account is returned to good standing.

Courtesy pay cannot be used to make a payment on any WSFCU loan.

Is courtesy pay the same as overdraft protection?

No. Overdraft protection allows funds to be transferred from a previously designated account to pay an item that would otherwise bring your account below $0. For example, if you swipe your debit card for an amount greater than your available balance, overdraft protection would pull funds from your linked savings account or approved line of credit in order to cover the transaction.

Overdraft protection will NOT allow the account to overdraw (go into a negative balance) to pay an item. If sufficient funds are not available in the linked share account or line of credit, the transaction will decline and an insufficient funds fee of $25 will be assessed, unless you are also opted-in to Courtesy Pay.

Please note, overdraft protection and courtesy pay are completely separate services. However, you can have BOTH overdraft protection and courtesy pay. If you have both, our system will automatically default to using overdraft protection first to cover the transaction, and will only use courtesy pay if there are not sufficient funds in the linked account to use overdraft protection.

What is Reg E?

Reg E is a federal law that prohibits financial institutions from charging NSF (insufficient funds) fees on everyday debit and ATM transactions unless a member opts-in to have the transaction paid by the credit union through a Debit Courtesy Pay program. Per Reg E, you must give consent in writing to opt-in to courtesy pay. If you choose to opt-out of courtesy pay (Reg E) and you do not have Overdraft Protection, transactions will be denied if sufficient funds are not available.

You can opt-in or opt-out to Reg E at any time by visiting a branch location or calling us at (918)362-1400.

How do I set up direct deposit or payroll deduction?

If your employer participates in a direct deposit program, you will have to fill out paper work with your HR or Payroll Department and provide them with your account number and our Routing Number, 303986384. For your convenience, you may use the direct deposit form linked below:

If you would like your Social Security check set up for Direct Deposit, contact the Social Security Administration directly at (800) 772-1213 or www.ssa.gov/deposit.

Why is there a hold on the check I deposited?

Our general funds availability policy is to allow you to withdraw funds deposited in your account on the first business day after the day we receive your deposit. Funds from electronic direct deposits, cash, wire transfers, and checks drawn on WSFCU, will be available on the same day we receive the deposit.

In some cases, we may delay your ability to withdraw funds beyond the first business day. This is considered a hold.

Generally, if a hold is placed, the first $225.00 from your deposit will be available on the same day as the date of your deposit. This is governed by the Dodd Frank (Reg CC) Act as of July 21, 2011. In most cases the remaining funds will be available by the second business day after the day of your deposit. Business days exclude weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and federal holidays.

It is also possible that longer delays may apply if:

  • We believe a check you deposit will not be paid.
  • You deposit checks totaling more than $5,525.00 on any (1) day.
  • You deposit a check that has been returned unpaid.
  • You have overdrawn your account repeatedly in the last six (6) months.
  • There is an emergency, such as failure of communications or computer equipment.

In any of these instances, we will notify you by mail if we delay your availability to withdraw funds for any of these reasons and we will tell you when the funds will be available. They will generally be available no later than the seventh business day after the day of your deposit.

If you are a NEW MEMBER (during the first 30 days your account is open), longer holds may apply and you may not be eligible to receive the first $225.00 from your deposit. Please refer to the “Funds Availability Policy Disclosure” in your Membership Booklet for more information.

Click here for funds availability policy (Reg CC).

How can I transfer money to my account at another institution?

You can transfer money from your Western Sun account to an account at another credit union or bank by using the “Account to Account” (A2A) transfer feature on online and mobile banking. In order to use this feature, you MUST have a WSFCU Checking Account. The fee for an outgoing A2A transfer is $2.00. There is no fee for an incoming transfer.

How many ATM withdrawals can I make each month without getting charged?

You can make up to 6 withdrawals per month without being assessed a fee. After 6 transactions, there is a fee of $1.50 per withdrawal. Balance inquiries are assessed a fee of $1.50 per inquiry.

As a member of Western Sun, you have access to 30,000 surcharge-free CO-OP ATMs. To locate an ATM near you, please visit https://www.transfund.com/locations

Savings Accounts

Why do I have to open a savings account?

In order to become a member of Western Sun, you are required to first open a savings account with a minimum deposit of $5. That $5 is not a fee; it’s YOUR money. You must maintain a balance of at least $5 in your regular savings account to be a member of Western Sun, even if you just plan to have a loan with us.

How many withdrawals can I make from my savings account each month (Reg D)?

Regulation D (Reg D) is a federal law that limits the number of transfers and withdrawals that can be made from an interest bearing account (Savings, Money Market) to a Checking Account or to a third party. Reg D imposes a limit of six transfers or withdrawals, or a combination of such transfers and withdrawals, to another account at the same credit union or to a third party during a calendar month or statement cycle by means of the following types of transactions:

  • Preauthorized or automatic withdrawals;
  • Telephone transfers;
  • Transfers initiated by personal computer; or
  • Withdrawals by check, debit card, or similar order.

After you exceed six (6) of these transactions per month, you will be charged $2.00 per transaction.

UNLIMITED TRANSFERS (with no fee) include anything done in-person at a Western Sun location, including in-person withdrawals, transfers to a Western Sun loan, or ATM transactions.

If you feel that you use your savings account more frequently and wish to open a transactional (checking) account, please visit a branch or apply for a checking account online.


How can I pay off my loan early?

Ready to pay off your loan? Congratulations! There is NO penalty or fee for paying off your loan early, so you can pay your loan off whenever you are ready.

If you would like to pay off your loan balance before the scheduled end date, simply call or visit any branch and ask for your loan payoff amount. Please note, you will need to indicate the number of days within which you would like to pay off your loan (i.e. 1 day, 7 days, 10 days) in order to receive an exact payoff amount, as daily interest accrual will affect the payoff amount.

When you are ready to pay, you can use any normal payment method to make your final payment. However, please note that the payment method will affect when you receive your lien release (see below).

When will I receive my lien release for the loan I paid off?

If you pay off your loan payment with cash, an account transfer from another WSFCU account, a wire transfer, or an ACH payment, you can receive your lien release immediately.

If you pay with any other payment method, please allow 10 business days for your lien release to be processed. You can choose whether to have your lien release sent by mail or you can pick up in person at a branch location.

Identity Theft and Unauthorized Transactions

What should I do if I am a victim of identity theft?

If you suspect fraud on your account or you suspect that you have been a victim of identity theft, notify us immediately by visiting one of our 6 branch locations or calling us at (918)362-1400. We may need to close and re-open accounts for you or put a notice on your credit report. The sooner the fraud is reported to us, the quicker it can be addressed.

The Federal Trade Commission offers helpful resources for those who have been a victim of identity theft. Visit https://www.identitytheft.gov/

What should I do if I notice unauthorized transactions on my VISA debit card?

It is your responsibility to monitor your accounts regularly. We recommend checking your account activity weekly using online banking, mobile banking, and telephone teller.

If you notice unauthorized charges on your account, notify us immediately by visiting one of our 6 branch locations or calling us at (918)362-1400. You have up to 60 days from the date of the transaction to notify us.

If unauthorized transactions occurred on your debit card, we will close your card and reissue a new one. It is usually 5-10 business days before you get your new card and pin in the mail. Your pin and card will be mailed separately.

If you have fraudulent charges on your debit card, we may be able to issue provisional credit while an investigation is completed. Provisional credit is funds that are deposited into your account to cover any fraudulent charges that have been debited from your account, less $50. The first $50 is held until an investigation is completed and the type of transaction has been identified. In most cases, the $50 will be refunded at the end of the investigation.

What should I do if I notice unauthorized transactions on my VISA credit card?

To dispute charges on your WSFCU VISA® credit card, you will need to contact TNB 24 hour customer service directly at 1(800)442-4757.

What should I do if I need to dispute an ATM transaction?

If you need to dispute an ATM transaction for any reason, please complete the form below. Dispute forms must be submitted within 60 days of the incident in question. Once the form is complete, you can email it to memberservices@wsfcu.com, fax it to (918)362-1490, or bring the form to any Western Sun branch location.

How do I place a stop payment on a check?

If you need to place a stop payment on a Check or ACH Payment, please complete the form below as soon as possible. Once the form is complete, you can email it to memberservices@wsfcu.com, fax it to (918)362-1490, or bring the form to any Western Sun branch location. There is a stop payment fee of $20.00 per item.